2.28.2011

NARS Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil vs. Knockoffs

Ok, so by now, I'm sure you've all had plenty of time to "ohh" and "ahh" over the new NARS Velvet Gloss Lip Pencils. I wanted almost every color, the second they came out, but restrained myself (mainly because they are $24 each). I went into my local Sephora yesterday, on a mission: seek out any duplicates or knockoffs for these coveted Gloss Pencils.



The contenders: Sephora Collection Ultra Vinyl Lip Pencil ($12) and Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm ($15). Swatches of all are shown below:


L to R: NARS Club Mix, Sephora Fancy Red, NARS Baroque, Sephora Miami Pink, Sephora Sweet Beige, NARS Happy Days, Clinique Mega Melon, Sephora Coral Glow, NARS New Lover, Sephora Gorgeous Peach, Sephora Strawberry Delish.

Verdict: Clinique Mega Melon is a dupe for NARS Happy Days, and saves you about $9. Sephora Gorgeous Peach (the actually color is nothing like the name) is the nearly the exact same color as NARS New Lover (yeah!!!), and saves you $12. I did not try NARS Frivolous, as light pink just doesn't wear well on me.

As for NARS Baroque (deep raspberry), Hopi (coral-nude), and Club Mix (sheer merlot grape), I am sad to report that I was unable to find a cheaper alternative. But if you have done so, please let us know!!

I already have Hopi, and will probably go back for Club Mix. This color really suprised me, it gave a nice vampy, yet sheer lip. I felt like a "bond girl" with this color on!


All of these items were samples, or purchased by me

No comments:

Post a Comment