2.23.2011

Our search for the mascara HG

So, I will start by confessing that I am a make-up addict. My most recent quest (obsession) was to find the HG (holy grail) of mascaras, and I convinced Laura to join in the process. Over the past 6 months, we have tried almost every mascara on the market (and that's not an exaggeration). Laura has already posted one of our faves--Lancome Hypnose Drama. I just wanted to give you a list of all the ones we've tested, and a few comments about them.
    • YSL Volume Effect Faux Cils in Noir Radical--this is one of my HG's. It gives me long, thick, dark, fanned out lashes. I also have it in the purple color. I just wish it was water-resistant, and cheaper :)
    • Estee Lauder Sumptuous Extreme Lash Multiplying. Ok, mousse-like texture. Natural look. Comes off easly.
    • Estee Lauder TurboLash All Effects Motion Mascara--noisy, but gives OK definition.
    • Chanel Intimitable Intense Mascara--wanted so much to love this one, due to all the hype. Didn't do much for my lashes. Pretty lashes, needed several coats. Came off way too easily.
    • Dior Diorshow--used to be one of my faves. This one gives you very full, dark lashes. But dosen't lenghten.
    • Dior Diorshow Blackout--also used to be a fave. This mascara will give you full, glossy black lashes. If your lashes are already long--go for it!!
    • Dior Diorshow Extase--the brush is very unique, but it takes a lot of effort to achieve results similar to that of Diorshow.
    • Dior Diorshow 360--waaay too expensive at $36. Won't catch all lashes. Just not worth the $$$
    • Fresh Supernova and Firebird--so these are meant to be used together, and they do provide decent results. Somewhat longer and thicker, without many of clumps.
    • Bare Escentuals Flawless Definition Volumizing Mascara--volume, nothing else.
    • MUFE Smoky Lash--I thought this one had potential. It did grab every lash, but I still had to layer another mascara over it to achieve desired results. Hard to get off at night.
    • Clinique High Impact--this one is ok, not good, not bad.
    • FairyDrops Scandal Queen Mascara--beautiful natural volumized lashes. Not dark.
    • Givenchy Phenomen'Eyes--Love the crazy looking brush, just takes a lot of work. It does give good separation.
    • Armani Eyes to Kill Mascara--similar to DiorShow. This one looks amazing on Laura, does nothing for me :(
    • Armani Eyes to Kill Excess--not impressed.
    • Bobbi Brown Party Mascara--very buildable, took several coats, and lashes were defined, but not very dark.
    • Lancome Hypnose Drama--HG. We loved this one, it gave great definition, volume, and length! Lashes were dark and dramatic. Easy to remove. LOVE (for now anyways!)
    • Stilla Major Major Lash--nothing "major" to say about it.
    • Smashbox Bionic Mascara--not impressed, didn't do much
    • Smashbox Lash DNA--ok.
    • MAC Haute and Naughty Lash--one brush, just changes the amount of mascara on it. Nothing noteworthy.
    • MAC False Lashes--got so excited reading about this on MAC's website, but alas, it was only OK.
    • Sephora Atomic Lash--didn't like at all. I must also include a disclaimer that this style of brush does absolutely nothing for my lashes. If this brush works for you, please give us feedback.
    • Rimmel Lash Accelerator--this works OK as a base coat, under another mascara. This is the only Rimmel mascara I like.
    • Rimmel Day 2 Night--this was horrible! Super clumpy, pulled out many of my lashes (and I need every last one)! Brush is a dupe of MAC Haute and Naughty, but done worse.
    • L'oreal Voluminous Carbon Black--one of the best drugstore mascaras out there!! This is one of Laura's HG's. It makes her lashes look amazing (and makes me jealous). Nice dark black color, great volume, great length, good definition. This one works very well for me too, just not one of my HG's.
    • L'oreal Voluminous Million Lashes--defines and lengthens, decent mascara.
    • L'oreal Double Extend Lash Boosting--let me start by telling you that I don't even use the mascara on this, I buy it for the primer. Use the white side (step 1), as a primer under any mascara, and it gives amazing results. This is my go to lash primer!!! It works as well as, or better than all the expensive ones, for a fraction of the cost. My recommendation is to save your $ for the expensive mascara, and use this bargain primer. It's a steal!
    • L'Oreal Double Extend Eye Illuminator--the topcoat is so pretty, but unfortunately it dosen't show up at all over the mascara. Topcoat brush is a dupe of Phenomen'Eyes.
    • L'Oreal Telescopic Explosion--dupe of Phenomen'Eyes, but with not much effect at all.
    • Maybelline Volume Express Falsies in Black Drama--very, very black. Thick formula, clumps easily, so have a lash separator handy. Does give long, dark lashes. **The waterproof formula is nearly impossible to remove**
    • Maybelline Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length--gives longer lashes, no extra volume.
    • Maybelline Colossal--clumpy, irritated my eyes. Didn't like at all.


Overall, we recommend Lancome Hypnose Drama ($25), YSL Faux Cils ($30), Armani Eyes to Kill (black) ($30), L'oreal Voluminous ($7) , L'oreal Double Extend (white side) as a primer ($10).




*Each of the mascaras we tried were either bought by us, or it was a sample included with other make-up purchase*

No comments:

Post a Comment